Friday, February 13, 2015

Getting My Vegan On

In my opinion, there is no better way to celebrate that fact that it’s Friday than with cupcakes. Double Chocolate Cupcakes to be exact!

In full disclosure, I’m not a huge cupcake fan. Honestly, I not a huge sweet fan, but I love baking and watching people enjoy what I’ve made (hmm, that might sound a little creepy.)

This was my first venture into vegan baking, so give the following recipe a go and let me know what you think.

Vegan Double Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cupcakes (yields 10 cupcakes)

    1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/4 – 1/2 cup cane sugar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1/3 cup carob powder
    1/2 cup oil
    1 cup water
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tbsp vinegar

Mix all ingredients together, portion into muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Seriously, this is such a quick and easy recipe. I think it may even be faster than opening one of those box mixes!

For the icing I was planning to use almond butter, but then I found this:

(Insert Angels singing) We all know my dislike of nut butters and that fact that I’m not a huge chocolate fan, but this stuff is amazing! In fact, Peanut Butter & Co., you may have forever changed my outlook on peanut butter!

Peanut Butter Icing

    1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Dreams (or other nut butter)
    2 tbsp butter alternative , softened ( I use Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks)
    1 cup confectioners sugar
    2-5 tbsp soy milk (or almond, hemp, etc)

With a hand mixer, mix together peanut butter and butter until creamy. Keep mixing and slowly add confectioners sugar. Add soy milk until the mixture is creamy and fluffy.

Oh yes, there is nothing wrong about that!

Once the cupcakes are cool, feel free to frost and enjoy!

Please ignore the Christmas plate, I didn’t realize the theme until I had already put all of the cupcakes on it (Dawn, please ignore that this is a plate I borrowed from you at Christmas two years ago).

Now go ahead, enjoy a cupcake and savor the fact that the weekend is only a few hours away!