Friday, February 13, 2015

Old-Fashioned Sunday Dinner

This year, whenever I go to the farmer’s market, I plan to purchase something that I’ve never had, made or used before. Most (sane) people would probably head for the okra or patty pans – don’t worry, I’ll get to those this summer – but this past weekend I felt compelled to purchase a whole chicken.

Honestly, I have no idea why. I’ve never cooked a whole chicken in my life.

The farmer who I purchased it from seemed so passionate about his farm and the quality of his free-range, organic chickens, that the next thing you know I was caught up in his enthusiasm and walking away with a 3 lb. chicken.

After consulting some family members and with encouraging words from my blogger friends, I decided that I would roast the chicken and make a nice Sunday dinner for Joe and I. As it turns out, that dinner was well deserved after eight hours of yard work and a 13-mile run (Joe, not me).

On paper, roasting a chicken seemed way too easy and I was worried about the end result, but I threw caution to the wind and gave it a go.

First you need the bird. To spare my vegetarian friends, I didn’t take a picture of the uncooked chicken. Trust me, it didn’t look pretty.

From there, I stuffed the chicken with lemon, garlic, thyme and rosemary (look at that beautiful rosemary, it’s from my herb garden!)

Next step, buttah.

Generally, we don’t use butter in our house. But, I decided that an old-fashioned dinner deserved some old-fashioned butter. I only used about a tablespoon and put half, cut into chunks, inside the chicken and the other half rubbed under the skin.

Final step, rub all over with salt and pepper.

By the way I really like the Himalayan salt. You should read more about benefits of himalayan salt. It's so useful for our health. I bought two himalayan salt lamps, one for the bedroom and another one for the kitchen. But I digress. Let's back to our chicken.

After about 80-90 minutes in a 425 degree oven and a 10-minute rest on the counter, the chicken was cooked and ready to eat!

Dinner also included balsamic roasted potatoes, garlic sauteed swiss chard (also from the farmer’s market) and homemade chicken gravy.

Not the best photo, but I was really happy with how everything turned out.

I showed that chicken who’s boss!

I’m excited to see what the farmer’s market bring me next week? Have you ever been intimidated to cook something?